This fall, we hosted creator, Chris Spear, at Getaway Shenandoah North outside of DC, so he could disconnect from the noise and focus on finding a fresh pumpkin spice recipe with his family. During his stay, he created these decadent Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispies Treats with White Chocolate Pumpkin Frosting—save this recipe in your back pocket for your next escape to nature.
- 16 oz bag mini marshmallows
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup pumpkin pure
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Popped popcorn for garnish (open a bag of microwave popcorn into a pot, and cook it over the fire.)
- Prepare a 9×9 baking dish by rubbing the inside lightly with 1 tablespoon of butter. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter over low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and pumpkin pie spice. Stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat then stir in the cereal until it’s completely coated.
- Transfer the mixture to your prepared dish, and using a rubber spatula press the mixture into the dish.
- While the treats are cooling, melt the white chocolate chips. When melted, stir in a tablespoon of canned pumpkin puree,
- Cut the treats into squares and transfer to a plate. Spread the white chocolate/pumpkin frosting on top.
- Garnish with a swipe of pumpkin puree and a kernel of popped popcorn.
What makes the perfect fall recipe?
I like food with warming flavors and spices. Something that makes you feel cozy and comfortable. Ideally, it’s something portable that you can carry while looking at Fall foliage.
What fall traditions do you have to return to make the most of the season?
My family loves hiking, especially in the Fall when it cools off. We like to collect fallen leaves while hiking, and make crafts with them when we get back.
What makes the perfect fall escape?
Going somewhere where we can be out in nature, and disconnect, It’s always a big plus if we can cook outdoors