There’s nothing better than a filling and delicious breakfast like french toast, especially on slow, weekend mornings. We tapped yoga teacher, and Recipient of Rest, Ashley Limehouse to share her favorite French Toast recipe that she created on her Getaway with us.
- 8 thick-cut slices of bread (I love sourdough, but you can use brioche if you like a more cake-like texture & sweetness)
- 1 egg (local if available)
- 1/2 cup of your favorite milk – I use oat!
- 2 Tbsp sugar divided
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 8 ounces mascarpone
- 2 cups of blackberries
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (or your favorite)
- Whisk together the egg, milk, 1 Tbsp of sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Cut 1/2 cup of blackberries in half, and toss with the remaining sugar – once they begin to release their juices, fold the berries into the mascarpone.
- In a small saucepan, heat the maple syrup with the remaining blackberries over medium heat until the berries begin to break down – this takes about 5 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Spread the mascarpone mixture on four slices of bread, and top with the remaining four slices.
- Dip each sandwich in the egg/milk mixture.
- Add 1 tbsp of butter to the skillet, and when it is melted, cook each sandwich 2-3 minutes per side, until the french toast is golden brown and the egg mixture is cooked through.
- Repeat with the remaining french toast.
- Serve hot with the blackberry syrup.
Looking forward to doing your own campfire cooking in nature? Book your Getaway today.