Earlier this year, we hosted Holly Stewart of @nashvillehungry at Getaway Dale Hollow outside of Nashville, so she could disconnect from the noise and reconnect to nature and her love of cooking. Check out the recipe she crafted while she was there below.
Chilaquiles! One of the best, best, best brunchy meals. I personally love this one because you can really make it however you want. Throw in extra peppers, cheese, hot sauce… you do you! However, I highly suggest toasting your tortillas over the campfire, it totally gave it a smokey flavor that really got us in our camp feels.
Though this list may seem long, do not worry! This meal is super intuitive and any which way you make it, it’s going to taste amazing. Especially when you’re by the campfire with a fresh cup of coffee. We got every ingredient at the local supermarket in town on our way in, including the sausage that came from a local farm! Ya just can’t beat it.
Getting a little adventurous and innovative when cooking at a campsite will always be my favorite part of weekends in the wilderness. Luckily, Getaway makes it easy for you by providing the essentials for a stress-free experience, while still allowing you to fully take in the outdoors, warm up by the fire, and listen to nature (and the FM radio).
The recipe below makes 2 full pans of chilaquiles! Perfect for a party of 4, or a really hungry party of 2. Let’s get to it!
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Sugar Packet (supplied by Getaway)
Prep first, cover, and let pickle inside fridge.
- 1/2 Red Onion
- Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 TSP Lime Juice
- 1 TSP Dried Minced Garlic
- 1 TSP Salt
Start by dicing the other half of your red onion. Then use equal parts cherry tomatoes (quartered) and cilantro.
Mix all ingredients together, cover, and set in fridge.
- ~5 oz. Ground Hot Sausage
- 7 oz. Can of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
Blend together with fork, cover, and set in fridge.
- 10 Medium Sized Flour Tortillas
Butter each side of each tortilla.
Once the fire is hot and steady, place each tortilla over the fire for about 15-30 seconds on both sides until a little crispy.
Once you’ve toasted all your tortillas, cut them into quarters. Set aside.
- 1 can, drain and wash them. That’s it!
- Thinly slice 1 jalapeno.
- 2 Eggs for Frying
- Add your hot sausage & chipotle pepper mix into your pan. Place over fire and use your wooden spoon to mix until evenly cooked. Then set aside into bowl.
- Add your quartered, toasted tortillas into the pan to make a bottom layer. Then, add 1/4 of your sausage, and a 1/4 of your beans. Add one more layer of tortillas, sausage, and beans. Cover the pan and let warm on top of the fire, about 10 minutes.
- Once warm, flip onto plate.
- With that same pan, crack an egg, and cook directly over fire.
- Once the egg is cooked, slide on top of the tortillas. Add your fresh salsa, pickled onions, jalapenos, extra salt + pep.
- Stuff your face by the campfire!