Fall is the perfect season to go apple-picking on the way to your escape.
Our favorite part: you get to take your pickings back to your cabin and make some tasty treats. Cook any or all of these three recipes that bring the oh-so-good tastes of apple crumble, hot apple cider, and tasty apple pancakes to your Getaway.
Warm Apple Cobbler Packet
Every Getaway cabin has a fire pit with grilling grate, and tin foil so you can cook without having to bring any extra supplies. For this recipe, all you’ll need are your freshly picked apples, a little brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon. Bonus points if you’d like to add any nuts or nutmeg to your meal.
- Slice apples thinly.
- Grab a long sheet of foil (roughly from your fingers to your elbow).
- Place the apples in the foil, with a spoonful of butter, a sprinkling of cinnamon, and a healthy serving of sugar. Lastly, sprinkle the nuts on top if you’d like them.
- Wrap packet securely, but leave a little room for it to puff up over the campfire.
- Light your campfire and place your packet on the grilling grate. Cook for 5-15 minutes, depending on the intensity of your flame.
- Remove from heat, unpack, and eat.
If you’d like to add a crumble to the top, you can use the same recipe, but mix together brown sugar, a touch of flower, some rolled oats, and baking powder, and place it over your apples to give it a little crisp as it cooks. Top with whipped cream, if desired. You can also take one of those delicious, warm, soft apples and add it to your s’more for texture and flavor.
Hot Apple Cider
You’ll need apple juice, a fresh apple, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and a fire-safe pot for this tasty mixture. If you’d like to add a little something extra for the 21+ crowd, throw a splash of bourbon into your cup.
- Pour a few cups of apple juice into your pot.
- Add in cinnamon and cloves to taste.
- Cook over the open flame, or on your stove inside your cabin for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and enjoy.
You’ll need a cast iron griddle or skillet, and your favorite pancake mix, plus a few apples and cinnamon. You can also make your own pancake mix with a couple of cups of all-purpose flour, a heap of sugar, salt (which we have in your cabin), a sprinkle of baking soda and baking powder, buttermilk, eggs, and butter – plus maple syrup to pour on top.
- Prepare your fire first and make sure your cast iron is hot and prepped (either with butter or with oil).
- Thinly slice 1-2 apples. Combine in a bowl with a touch of sugar, cinnamon, and butter.
- Combine the rest of your ingredients and add the apple mixture last.
- Scoop out ladle of batter and place on your hot pan. When it starts bubbling, it’s time to flip to the other side.
- Flip to your pancake is ready. Top with maple syrup and dig in.